About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

She Wore What?

From Proverbs 31:22b: "She dresses in fine linen and purple gowns."

She wore what?! Wait a minute. I thought a good Christian woman went without and denied herself luxuries. But this woman to whom we are taught as little girls to aspire wore nice clothes. "Fine linen and purple gowns." In those days, purple was the color of the upper crust, as purple dye came from some sort of crustacean that was highly prized.

So this morning as I finished blow-drying my new haircut (thanks be to God for my hairstylist of over 10 years), I prayed God for some kind of revelation. And this was it: that it is good for me to spend time and, yes, even splurge on myself. It's even biblical! Now, let's not ignore the getting up in the dark hours of early morning to get meals prepared (verse 15) or the working hard (verse 19) or the giving to the poor and needy (verse 20). There's much to be expected of a daughter of God. But here's what I've been missing (even though my husband has tried to get it through my head and I've heard dozens of sermons and other messages on this topic): You've got to take care of yourself SO THAT you can take care of others.

When I asked God for a revelation this morning, I didn't expect one like this. Funny how God knows exactly what we need, isn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I work on myself physically so little that it is almost daunting as to where one begins. I will have to give this one to God and see what he comes up with for me! I love the idea and I thank you for sharing the revelation. I think I shall go pluck my eyebrows and paint my toenails! Your blog feels like visiting home to me. :)
Joelle

Sunshine said...

Awww! :) Thanks, Joelle, for those comments. Yes, paint your toenails and pluck those brows! I actually managed to get my legs shaved this morning! It took getting up around 6:00 during spring break, but I did it. (Actually, it mostly in order to get it done before having our garage sale!)