About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

What Do You Do?

Since I was 7 years old, I've wanted to be a writer. I can't remember exactly who or what gave me the idea (Judy Blume? Laura Ingalls Wilder?), but I know that even from that age, I knew that writing was one of the main things that makes me me. Writers are told that, above all, they must write. Just do it. So, in following that advice, I have been trying to write weekly. When you figure out what you're designed to do, it's not too difficult to make yourself do it.

But then again, there's life. You've got to pay the bills, clean up the toddler's toys (again!), concoct something for dinner, and then you've got to get some sleep. I've been thinking a lot lately about who I am, what I do, and why I do it. I earn a living as a high school teacher, and fortunately, my profession can integrate my life purpose. However, as our pastor explained last night, one's profession is not the same thing as one's purpose. So, even during the 2 years that I did not teach, I still had my purpose. And even on the days when I feel my students are learning nothing of the subject matter, I can be comforted by the thought that I am still fulfilling God's purpose by being there.

Here's the thing that I love about one's purpose: Once you figure out what it is and find the motivation and courage to follow the energy of your purpose, you won't have to try very hard to do it, at least most of the time. In Luke 5, Jesus comes into the life of Simon Peter and blesses him with a huge catch of fish. In verse 10, Jesus says, "Don't be afraid; from now on you will catch men" (NIV). In Matthew and Mark, the wording is a bit different: Jesus says He will make them "fishers of men." That wording, to me, puts more of an emphasis on the efforts of the disciples. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have to make an effort to follow what God wants us to do. But I have found that when you are following the Spirit's calling and prompting in your life, your work in His service (your life purpose) often doesn't feel like work. The fishermen had been trying and trying to catch fish, but when Jesus showed up, they just had to pull up the filled-to-bursting nets. Similarly, when you do what God has designed you to do, you don't have to try so hard -- you just pull up the nets. God will put things into place to aid you in fulfilling your purpose.

And isn't the purpose of us all to ultimately to catch men and women and pull them up closer to our God? Whether it's people who've never heard of God or it's lifelong Christians who are nearing the end of their lives who just need the encouragement to keep on being encouragers to others, catching people where they are and showing them God is our purpose.

Someone once told me that the secret to life is to "follow your energy." While I have found that to be true, I have also learned that "energy" is really God's Spirit. He gives us life, counsel, comfort, and joy.

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full" (John 10:10).
Please, for the sake of us all, search out your purpose. Don't put it off. We all grow weary. But there is peace and satisfaction that can combat your world-weariness. Remember:

"O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. ...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be" (Psalm 139:1b-3, 15-16).

God made you to be you. And, as the saying goes, God doesn't make junk. It is never to late to become what God intended you to be. Your life purpose has always been there. Nothing you can do can change that.

Please pray for me, that I may understand clearly God's purpose for me, that I may not be distracted from pursuing it. And know that I am praying for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding us to think about our purpose. I think mine might be empathizing but Ill have to think on it some more.
My purpose today..... dishwasher, band-aid applier, hug giver, reprimand-er, hand clapper, bible studier, time giver, encourager, help-meet-ess, home teacher, attention deliverer, prayer sayer. (wish this was a paid position) lol. I need to come up with some good initials for this purpose... :)
Joelle

Sunshine said...

Joelle, I love that you are very sure of what your purpose was that day...and the confidence that exudes from your words. Your family and friends are blessed by you, and I'm blessed to be one of them.