About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

It's Not About Me: Revisited

I love Facebook. I don't spend a huge amount of time on it, which is nice because it can be a time waster. But it can also, like all things, direct our eyes to God. Last night one of my Facebook Friends posted a link to a blog a friend of hers writes. In it, the blogger wrote about how "relentless" God is in trying to get our attention to show us what He wants us to learn. He wrote about how he has tried ministering on his own, but it is really God who creates the opportunities to reach others---we must simply join God in His plan for us. Another person (his wife?) commented on the blog and referenced a statement from Experiencing God (Blackaby et al): "God never asks people to dream up something to do for Him."

Last Sunday my husband and I went to our first class of a 4-week series about discovering your personality type, your spiritual gifts, and therefore, your God-created options for serving Him. So I have been thinking a lot (okay, even more than usual!) about who I am, who God made me to be, and what He has gifted me to do. And after reading my friend's friend's blog last night (and my friend's friend's wife's comment!), I am struck all the more that we are here FOR HIM AND HIS DESIRES.

So what are His desires? John 3:16 puts it plainly:

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."
I also love this passage from 2 Corinthians 5:

"[God] reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation. ...[H]e has committed to us the message of reconciliation. ...We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God" (v. 18b, 19b, 20b).
During the past 3 weeks, our pastor has presented a series on finances. Those messages are always a bit difficult to hear and even harder to put into practice. Several of the passages our pastor used in this series are full of "so that's." If you really want to get down to the basics of what God wants and why, you need to seek out and internalize the "so that's." As you read Scripture, look for the phrase "so that." Here are some of the "so that's" I read this week:

"And God is able to make all greace abound to you, SO THAT in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work" (2 Corinthians 9:8).

"You will be made rich in every way SO THAT you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God" (2 Corinthians 9:11).

"Command [those who are rich] to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. ...SO THAT they may take hold of the life that is truly life" (1 Timothy 6:18, 19b).
Some insights I received this week from these passages:
1) God will give us all we need. Not all we want, but all we need. I am learning that the more stuff I want, the less I think about God and the less I realize I need Him.

2) These passages address more than our money. God blesses us with time and talents, and we are to use those for what He desires.

3) The most important lesson here: God blesses us so that we may bless others so that we may show them our Father.

So you see, it's not about me. This is a lesson I have begun learning for about 15 years, and I pray I continue to learn it more and more deeply throughout my life.

Grow in Him, friends, SO THAT we can show each other our God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the wisdom God has given you to bless me:)
Life is all about the SO THAT and I have lost sight of that. Karate Kid says, "your focus needs more focus" and if I focus on learning from God, sharing and blessing others my life will have renewed purpose!