About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Sunday, December 05, 2010

Controlling the Chaos

My mind is very cluttered this morning. I'm not sure why. If I start analyzing, I can find some reasons, but the greatest reason is this: Satan doesn't want my mind to be clear. He delights in confusion and chaos. Why? Because if my mind, vision, and hearing aren't clear, I won't be able to think about, see, or hear my Father.


This week my earthly father reminded me of one of the many wonderful verses in Psalms:



"Be still, and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10a).
It is so very hard to just stop and be still, though, isn't it? There's always so much to do and process. But God commands us to stop. Our society needs to remember that God created a Sabbath for a reason. He knows we need rest, and He knows we need to find rest in Him. This past week I have thought much about the idea of capturing my thoughts and managing them, rather than their managing me. Paul said,


"[W]e take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ" (2 Corinthians 10:5b).
How many times have you realized that you're obsessing over a situation that you hadn't thought of in hours, weeks, or even years? It happens to me. However, I have begun to learn that this is sin. Anything that keeps our focus away from God and pulls us away from Him and the abundant life He desires for us is sin. And since I have begun to understand this, I have begun to ask God to capture my thoughts before they run rampantly through my brain and banish them.

We are truly at war. Satan longs to ruin our lives.
"Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour" (1 Peter 5:8b).
I am reminded of Ephesians 6. Paul clearly explains what we're up against and how to combat it:
"Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints" (Ephesians 6:12-18).
It is interesting to me that Paul ends this passage with a reminder for us to pray for each other. We need each other desperately. One of Satan's best tactics is isolation. When one is separated from the "flock," he or she is extremely vulnerable to attacks. So, friends, be deliberate this week about your thoughts. And stick together. We need each other's protection and love.

No comments: