About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Out of Control

This morning I began a study of the book of Esther, guided by a Women of Faith publication. The first section of the study guide focuses on the first chapter of Esther. I've known the story of Esther since I was a kid. But I love revisiting these Old Testament stories as an adult. It's like finding an old coin, and as you polish off tarnish with your thumb, you find a shiny nugget of value.

The author of the guide presents the issue of control, and I am struck by this issue this morning. We really struggle with control as human beings, don't we? I began to think about all the areas in my life that seem out of control (most of them). Guided by this little book, I began to ask God what He would have me do in order to get many of these matters back under control. As I scribbled along in my journal, it hit me.

Oh.

I'm supposed to trust God with all these issues in my life that seem to be out of control.

The fact of the matter is that God is ultimately in control of everything.

Oh, we take the reins away from Him and try to drive this thing called life on our own. But He's really in charge of it all. After all, He's God.

The author directs readers to Psalm 46. Here's a highlight:

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging....Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts. The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress" (Psalm 46:1-3, 6-7).

These days we live in reflect how little control we really have, don't they? We cannot control other nations. We cannot control Mother Nature. But it really doesn't matter if we have God on our side.

Now all this does not mean that you are off the hook in all areas of your life. You can't ask God to do your taxes for you or organize your hall closet for you. But you can ask Him to give you the strength, motivation, guidance, and wisdom to do what you need to do to get the controllable things in your life in line.

Now I've got the Twila Paris song "God Is in Control" stuck in my head. But that's a good ear worm to have. I pray the phrase "God is in control" becomes stuck in your head today, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very timely for me. Over the years, I have seen how little control I have over things that happen. Long ago was the day I was trying to fight for what I thought was injustice to me. I made a decision back then to stop fighting and the result was peace.

Now, I am facing a very scary future. I know I do not have control, but find myself rolling it in my mind over and over, which equals worry.

It came to me while reading your devotional thoughts that worry is a way of trying to control. It's something I CAN do that might change the outcome. Even though I know God is in control, my worry says that I don't really trust Him with the outcome. It's so hard just to be still.

My daughter suggested rather than playing the negative thoughts that Satan is saying to my head, listen to the musical tape, Unshakeable, to quiet my thoughts and focus on God's control. This helps so much.

Thank you so much for your reminder to trust Him with my future.

God has never left me or forsaken me. I KNOW He is in control!

Sunshine said...

Thanks, Martha, for sharing your thoughts. I know you are an inspiration to many.