About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

This Is How We Overcome

My heart is awash in a variety of emotions and thoughts this morning. First of all, please know that I know that the world is full of pain, suffering, problems, weariness, and confusion. But also know this, as our pastor put it last night: "The comfort that the Comforter brings is greater than the pain that you're suffering." I know. That sounds nice, doesn't it? But how often do we really feel that? Let me tell you, I hear ya. When the bills come in, and those numbers are bigger than you'd expected, God's comfort seems pretty far away. When you suddenly lose a loved one, the agony feels like death to your spirit. When your relationships are strained, you feel so alone. BUT I can tell you that God's comfort is real. It is possible. I have experienced it. And I've experienced it more than once. These writings began as a quest for joy. I have to be honest: I have not felt joyful regularly in a very long time. But I pray that I'm on the right path to get there again. The way I always get there is through regular (daily!) reading of God's Word.

One of the names for the Holy Spirit is Comforter. The Spirit can be a difficult "God-person" (remember, God is 3 persons) to understand. But as our pastor has guided us through a study of Him, I've begun to get it. John 16:13 says, "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on His own; He will speak only what He hears, and He will tell you what is yet to come." Our pastor reminded us in his last sermon that the Spirit has come to us from the very throne room of God to speak to us. You may feel beat down, but the Spirit tells you that you will be okay. He will tell you what is yet to come. You may lose things you hold dear, but do not lose heart. You will be okay. "Weeping may endureth for a night, but joy cometh in the morning" (Psalm 30:5b, KJV). Other verses rose up and encouraged me this morning as well:

"Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy" (John 16:22, emphasis mine).

"Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete" (John 16:24b).

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world" (John 16:33).

"He reached down from on high and took hold of me; He drew me out of deep waters" (Psalm 18:16).

"The LORD is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid?.... For in the day of trouble He will keep me safe in His dwelling" (Psalm 27:1, 5a).

"I will be glad and rejoice in Your love, for you saw my affliction and knew the anguish of my soul" (Psalm 31:7).

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. A righteous man may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all" (Psalm 34:18-19).

I hope those verses encourage you as they did me. I have also been thinking this morning of Galatians 5:22: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control." When I was growing up, I heard more than once the idea to focus on each of these traits at a time, working on developing that trait. There is some good to that idea, but I think the premise of it is all wrong. We make things so difficult for ourselves. Why do work that was never ours to do? It is the Spirit's work to make these things happen in us! If we are spending time with God, listening to Him, reading His Word, asking Him for guidance, then these are the fruits, the produce, the result of our "work" of abiding in Him. I think it is no mistake that the first fruit is love, followed by joy. If we experience God's love, we feel more loving towards others. And when you experience this sort of love, how can you be anything but joyful? And then I think the other fruits follow much more easily. If we can just learn the key to joy!

A few days ago, a friend and mentor prayed for me. I don't often cry, but I always cry when someone prays aloud for me. I guess I finally release some of the burden that I am carrying and let someone else carry it for me, for just those moments of prayer anyway. (The reality, of course, is that God will carry it for me, if I'll only let Him.) Please know this morning that I prayed for you. I prayed for an open heart, for wisdom, for peace, for direction, for joy, for comfort.

Grace, peace, and joy be yours today. And tomorrow. And the next day.

2 comments:

Karen said...

First - I didn't know you had a blog. Second - just wanted to let you know that one of my very favorite verses is one that you quoted about joy coming in the morning. I have had to pull that verse out more times than I can count to help me through a really tough situation - it may take a few mornings for the joy to be realized, but God always provides - peace, joy, and abundant love. Our God is a God of joy.

Sunshine said...

Thanks, Karen, for the comment post -- they are such an encouragement. Hope all is going well in your world. :)