About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Trusting God Is For the Birds

Trusting God -- do you find it as difficult to do as I do? I mean, I don't blame us; it's hard to trust things you can't see. Even Jesus said, "[B]lessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." (John 20:29b). We believe the sun will come up today because it came up yesterday and all the days before. Trust grows out of a consistent experience. It's funny that we are supposedly the superior species of all God's creations, yet we're so hardheaded. Let's take birds, for example. I don't think birds are all that smart. I've seen quite a few doves collide with a glass window at top speed. And sometimes the same dove does it over and over again. But even the birds have some things figured out that we don't.


My husband, over the past few years, has taken to feeding the hummingbirds in our neighborhood. The first year he purchased some plants known to attract hummers. Unfortunately, those plants have since died, but the hummers keep coming to our back porch for their nectar. Why? Because of past experience. Consistently, every summer, food has been provided to them. This weekend my family is visiting my dad in South Texas. Growing up, my mom consistently fed the birds and squirrels of the neighborhood. I hadn't thought much about this till this weekend. My dad and his "lady friend" (his term, not mine) have begun hanging bird feeders (including a hummingbird feeder) and setting out bird baths. (Don't worry, squirrels -- you'll have your own feeder soon, too.) And the birds flock to the trees, enjoying the seeds and the refreshing water. I love that these men in my life take care of the birds. Why can't I learn that the "Other Man" in my life (He should be the Top Man) does the same for me consistently? In the words of Jesus:


"'Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.... Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds!'" (Luke 12:6-7, 24).
Yes, even the birds trust our God.

Yesterday I read this quote by Martha Tennison: "We only trust people we know. If you're struggling to trust God, it may be because you don't really know God" (quoted by Joanna Weaver in Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, p. 125). Wow. So now what do we do? Even if we have the why, we're often left with the how. If you've read my blog before, you already know the answer. Set time aside for you and God. Do it regularly. As you consistently experience God, your trust will grow.

I'm praying for you. Please pray for me. We all need to trust God more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try to live by Proverbs 3:5-6 where it says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. Acknowlege Him in all your ways and He will make your path straight". My life is stress-free even though it's seldom easy when I can remember to live this way.

Sunshine said...

An excellent passage, Anonymous! :) My life isn't stress-free, but I'm learning. :)