About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Keep On Keeping On

This past week, I would say, was a successful first week of school for me. I joyfully enforced the school dress code, encouraged my students to introduce themselves in a new language, instructed them not to use "retarded" and "stupid" to describe each other, and modeled new vocabulary. Every school year I make resolutions to improve my teaching and, therefore, my students and myself. And so far, I feel as if I've done well.


But we have 176 more school days left.


I've only just begun.


"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:12-14).
Perhaps I'm taking Paul's words a bit out of context, but I think this passage is fitting for this time of the year for me. While it's appropriate to pat ourselves on the back for a job well done, we must remain alert, "live up to what we have already attained" (Philippians 3:16), and "stand firm in the Lord" (Philippians 4:1). It's easy to exercise that first week of a new fitness routine, limit your carb intake the first day or two of a different approach to eating, do your homework the first week or two of school, write love notes to your spouse those first couple months of marriage, read your Bible after an uplifting weekend at church.


And then the newness wears off. The to-do list looms large in your mind. The fast food restaurants lure you to make a stop on the way home from work. Watching TV seems more interesting than doing homework or having a conversation with your spouse or children. It is so easy to backslide.


So then what do we do?


Get back on track. Remember that "[His compassions] are new every morning" (Lamentations 3:23a). Also, "[f]orget the former things; do not dwell on the past;" see that "[God is] doing a new thing!" (Isaiah 43:18-19a).


I can't help but think of the yellow wristbands that urge us to "live strong." "[B]e strong in the Lord and in His mighty power" (Ephesians 6:10). Every day is a battle, so suit up. Get in the game. What is our equipment, then?


"Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints" (Ephesians 6:14-18).
My husband and I both have something of a fondness for swords. Not really sure why. But I love that the word of God is illustrated by a sword. It's a mighy powerful thing, this word of God's. Use it daily.


I have thought a lot lately about being Jesus to my students. I may be the only Jesus they see on a regular basis. And what about that check-out clerk at the grocery store who always has a sour expression on her face? We must be Jesus for the world out there. For that matter, we must be Jesus to our families and friends.


With that thought in mind, I'll close with the next verse from Paul's letter to the church at Ephesus:


"Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel" (Ephesians 6:19).


Stand firm, friends. Be alert. Live in the Spirit. Abide in Him.

No comments: