About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Monday, July 24, 2006

Why So Complicated?

“When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified” (I Corinthians 2:1-2).

Why do we try to make things so hard for ourselves? Some of us try too hard in our Christian lives. We think that others expect a lot from us, so we feel pressured to always have some magical comment about spiritual matters. Others of us feel inadequate and think that we cannot offer any kind of spiritual insight because we struggle too much or have not lived up to God’s standard in some other time that seems like a lifetime ago.

God never meant for us to make things so difficult.

We are to live as God’s redeemed children.

That’s it.

We don’t have to polish ourselves up for anyone. God is the only One you’ll ever really answer to anyway.

“Jesus Christ and him crucified.”

That’s it. Everything that God wants for you and of you will naturally flow out of you as you recognize that He’s your Father, that He takes you in His arms even when you’re filthy and have fallen on your face. Again.

So let’s stop making things so complicated and just find joy in our Father and His Son.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are showing up again in my inbox. I have missed your insights. I, too, let daily pressures and tasks get in my way of daily listening to God. You are a reminder to do that. I love getting your daily devo!

Julie Kibler said...

Yep, there is literally nothing sweeter to a parent than when their stinky, dirt in the creases, sweaty kid falls and skins a knee and comes running for that magic kiss of healing. We drop everything and run to meet them.