About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Dwelling in the Dust

"For dust you are and to dust you will return" (Genesis 3:19b).

God created Adam from dust. We will become dust. Throughout the Old Testament, dust is used as an image of mortality. It is sometimes used to refer to death. Also, putting dust or ashes on one's self was a sign of mourning in biblical times. We are made of dust, we live in a dusty world, and we ourselves will return to dust.

This morning I read Isaiah 26, which continues to talk about what God will do "in that day." The first verses I highlight deal more with what He does on earth, but can also apply to what He'll do in at the end of earthly time.

"The path of the righteous is level; O upright One, you make the way of the righteous smooth. Yes, LORD, walking in the way of your laws (or "judgments," says the footnote), we wait for you; your name and renown are the desire of our hearts" (Is. 26:7-8).

"[A]ll that we have accomplished you have done for us" (Is. 26:12b). I really like that verse. Without our God's support, we will accomplish nothing. Sometimes things may seem successful, but that is only a facade.

Here's the verse that really got me. It includes "my" word, "joy," and it's just beautiful.

"But your dead will live; their bodies will rise. You who dwell in the dust, wake up and shout for joy. Your dew is like the dew of the morning; the earth will give birth to her dead" (Is. 26:19).

As I discussed in my post yesterday, the earth will be made new. There's a verse in one of Paul's (I think it's one of his) epistles (Romans?) that says the earth itself is in the pains of birth. One day the earth will be delivered of its pain. In that time, the bodies of those who have died will rise. It's important to note that their spirits live now. It is their bodies, the dust, that will be birthed anew.

Again, if you want more information on these ideas, check out the sermon series "Amazing Place!" on my church's website. I'm just passing along ideas that I've heard and have processed in my own mind, as I'm finding other verses that support them.

May God bless you immensely with His joy today. Remember that His joy is your strength (Nehemiah 8:10b)!

No comments: