About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Process of Pain

In Psalm 22, David is in serious distress. This chapter is a wonderful example of what to do when we are feeling the same way.

He begins, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning?" (Ps. 22:1). God does not want us to try to hide our emotions from Him. After all, He knows our thoughts before we think them! He's a big enough God to handle your ranting, groaning, and complaining. But you must be prepared to quiet yourself in His presence, too, in order to perceive His response.

David goes on to say, "In you our fathers put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them. They cried to you and were saved; in you they trusted and were not disappointed" (Ps. 22:4-5). David reminds himself of God's track record. God saved His people from Egyptian captivity, among other bonds.

Therefore, based on his assurance of God's goodness and ability to rescue, David requests, "But you, O LORD, be not far off; O my Strength, come quickly to help me" (Ps. 22:19). Because he has recognized what God has done in the past, David can now ask God for comfort and help.

David ends in praising God: "I will declare your name to my brothers; in the congregation I will praise you. You who fear the LORD, praise him! All you descendants of Jacob, honor him! Revere him, all you descendants of Israel! For he has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help" (Ps. 22:22-24).

I pray that when you feel helpless and alone, you will follow David's steps of processing your pain.

No comments: