About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

God Will Take Care of It

Psalm 17 reveals a man who needed help. Men were after David, and he had every right to fight back. But David knew his place.

"Hear, O LORD, my righteous plea; listen to my cry...May my vindication come from you; may your eyes see what is right...I have kept myself from the ways of the violent" (Ps. 17:1a, 2, 4b). David knew that it was in his best interest to leave vengeance to God. He knew the permanent damage that bitterness and anger could do to his heart. Instead, he turned to God to take care of his enemies and to comfort his spirit.

"Show the wonder of your great love, you who save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes...hide me in the shadow of your wings from the wicked who assail me" (Ps. 17:7, 8b-9a).

David also understood that this life is not the end. He said, "O LORD, by your hand save me from such men, from men of this world whose reward is in this life" (Ps. 17:14a). He understood that chasing after power in this life is worthless.

I'm not sure how much David understood about the coming Messiah. But he revealed some wisdom (could it be divinely given wisdom?) when he said, "And I--in righteousness I will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness" (Ps. 17:15). This verse echoes the verses in the New Testament that talk about how Jesus is our righteousness and about how we are clothed in His righteousness and, therefore, look like Him.

I also read Isaiah 13 this morning. Isaiah 13 describes an oracle regarding Babylon that the prophet Isaiah saw. The Scripture says, "I have commanded my holy ones; I have summoned my warriors to carry out my wrath--those who rejoice in my triumph...The LORD Almighty is mustering an army for war. They come from faraway lands, from the ends of the heavens..." (Isaiah 13:3, 4c, 5a). It is hard to tell if God is summoning His people or if He is calling His angels to war. At any rate, this passage reminds me how much God hates evil. He is a God of justice, and He will conquer evil. In fact, He already has--at Calvary. We can claim that victory, but evil still slithers around us in the world. But one day, evil will be permanently crushed.

No comments: