About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Real Security

Sometimes, even when things are going fine, I feel that life is so uncertain. And that is why in times like that I go to the Psalms. David was a man of great power, yet he went to God for comfort and counsel regularly. He knew that God could give him what no one or nothing else could. We often think other people or other things will give us comfort, and sometimes they do. But that kind of comfort will not last or will not be as complete as we need it to be. Only God can provide the deep nurturing and assurance that our souls need.

Here are highlights from Psalm 16.

"Keep me safe, O God, for in you I take refuge" (Ps. 16:1).

"I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me" (Ps. 16:7).

"I have set the LORD always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken" (Ps. 16:8).

"You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand" (Ps. 16:11).

Next time you feel anxious or blue, open up the Bible and allow God to remind you that He is right there with you. Listen to some good worship music, too.

No comments: