About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Isaiah's Aslan

December 9th will be an important day. C.S. Lewis' classic story The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe will be introduced as a film. There has been at least one version made of it, and well, it wasn't too great. But we live in the time of directors like Peter Jackson, who re-introduced us to the Lord of the Rings stories, and their crews of technological magicians. In anticipation of the opening of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, my husband and I have been re-reading the book at night. Even grown-ups need good bedtime stories! I thank God for my mother who read to me for many, many years and encouraged my reading beyond my childhood. She loved Lewis' works.

A shiny gem of scripture emerged from the text of Isaiah 31 this morning. For those of you who don't know (and I recommend you read the book before you see the movie--it's not long), Aslan is the name of the lion--a Christ figure--in Lewis' book. As you read the passage below, you'll see why I'm so excited to see the movie. And the fantastic thing is that this fantasy is real.

"'This is what the LORD says to me: 'As a lion growls, a great lion over his prey--and though a whole band of shepherds is called together against him, he is not frightened by their shouts or disturbed by their clamor--so the LORD Almighty will come down to do battle on Mount Zion and on its heights.'" (Isaiah 31:4)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that novel! I enjoy having my students read it and seeing those that make the connection. Believe it or not, some 10 year olds do! It makes for a great conversation starter.

Sunshine said...

In this week's Fort Worth Star-Telegram, there was a feature on having a Narnia tea party. How fun would that be?! The hubby read the recipe for Turkish Delight and said, "So, basically, it's sugar coated in sugar." Yum! Don't know if my teeth enamel could handle that, though....