About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Everlasting Joy!

My mother loved a song by Maranatha that, I've just discovered, is based on Isaiah 35. I remember singing along and marching in place to the cassette tape. Even as a child, I felt such encouragement from the message in the song. The song is taken from the last verse in the chapter. I'd like to share other passages in the chapter first.

The title of this chapter in the New International Version is "Joy of the Redeemed." That sure caught my interest!

"The desert and the parched land will be glad; the wilderness will rejoice and blossom. Like the crocus, it will burst into bloom; it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy" (Isaiah 35:1-2a).

Crocuses, I believe, are one of the first flowers that push their heads out of the ground in the spring. I have seen many photos of crocus sprouting up from under layers of snow. This imagery makes me think of the neverending winter (with no Christmas!) in Narnia that did finally come to an end.

"Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way; say to those with fearful hearts, 'Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with a vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you'" (Isaiah 35:3-4).

I like that we are told first to be strong. Sometimes we have to be strong even as we are afraid. But we are able to be strong because we have access to God's power, and that gives us cause to be unafraid. I also like the fact that God will "come with a vengeance" to save us. The enemy better watch out; he's going to get it in the end.

"Then will the lame leap like a deer, and the mute tongue shout for joy. Water will gush forth in the wilderness and streams in the desert" (Isaiah 35:6).

Several years ago a CD titled "Streams in the Desert" was produced with several different Christian artists contributing to it. It's a beautiful piece. Though I haven't listened to it in a while, I recommend it.

And here's the passage that inspired the Maranatha song:

"[T]he ransomed of the LORD will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away" (Isaiah 35:9b-10).


I have a thing with crowns. When my mother and I saw the Crown Jewels during our trip to England in 1999, I went back to see them about five times. They are amazing. But a crown of everlasting joy? Aaaaahhhh. That is my kind of crown. And can you imagine--"gladness and joy will overtake them"? I can get pretty filled with the joy of my God. But when I get home, that will be some serious joy! Can't wait till we're all there together.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Blessing I love to be filled with the blessings Our Lord has to give us.Tom OXley

Sunshine said...

Thanks for commenting! How's the weather in your neck of the woods today?

Anonymous said...

I find it amusing that I can be so selfish when i have already been blessed with much much more than I can ever deserve! You are one of them (my blessings) that I count every night! Love you, miss you!

moi

Sunshine said...

Isn't it wonderful that blessings tend to have a circular nature? You bless me, I bless you, you bless me, I bless you, and so forth!

Love and miss you, too.