About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Hope Vs. Hope

"Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long" (Psalm 25:4-5).

Hey, isn't this--or a psalm like it--used in a Third Day song? I love Third Day--my favorite Christian band ever.

Recently my husband and I had a discussion about the use of the word "hope" in the Bible. We English speakers use the word "hope" in a cross-your-fingers-and-wish kind of way, such as "I hope it snows tomorrow." But the Bible's "hope" is different. It is an assurance, a solid belief that we will be protected, that God, goodness, and justice will ultimately prevail. In the above passage, David, I think, was reminding himself that no matter what situation arose that day, God had his back. He would be safe.

"The LORD confides in those who fear him; he makes his covenant known to them" (Psalm 25:14).

Whoa. God confides in His people. This thought reminds me of the passages that talk about responsibilities God gives us, such as "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked" (Luke 12:48b). But the idea that God confides in us baffles me. But really, when you think about it, it makes sense. God created us for Himself. He made us to have a relationship with Him.

"My eyes are ever on the LORD, for only he will release my feet from the snare" (Psalm 25:15).

David understood that he could not rescue himself. God alone has the power to save us. And more than that, thanks to God the Father and Jesus, we have access to the power that confronts and combats evil in our lives, as well as the Spirit to guide us. Never forget that you are a child of God and therefore are empowered to do battle with Satan. You are equipped to fight. God never sends His people into a war zone without weapons. You've got them. Use them.

No comments: