About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

When You're Just Not Feelin' It

Satan's been at work. He's been trying to get at me all this week. I've had unpleasant dreams, I'm stressed about work, Christmas is right around the corner, and things just don't seem right. So what do you do when you feel like this? I prayed hard last night that God would protect me from Satan's attacks. This morning I e-mailed close friends to ask them to pray for me. And then I read Psalm 29 and 30.

David wrote these psalms after he had come through a difficult time. Sometimes it's hard to read scriptures like that when you haven't yet reached that point in a period of difficulty. But that is faith. Faith is believing that God will answer, that He will come through, no matter what suffering you have experienced.

Here are some verses I found encouraging:

"The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace" (Ps. 29:11).

"O LORD, you brought me up from the grave, you spared me from going down into the pit" (Ps. 30:3).

"[W]eeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning" (Ps. 30:5b).

I am reminded here of Dr. Green, a minister from the Oak Cliff area in Dallas, that has come to speak at our church twice. One of his sermon titles was "How Long the Night?" If you didn't hear that sermon, I recommend that you access the sermons on my church's website. Some "nights" are very, very long. As Christians, we do have the assurance that this long night on earth will end with rejoicing in our new home of heaven.

"You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever" (Ps. 30:11-12).

I'm not feeling that way today. But I have felt it before, particularly in the last few months. I know my God is good. And I know that He will bring me joy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the girl giving joy through sharing of her studies!

Julie Kibler said...

If It Wasn't For The Night

If it wasn't for the night
So cold this time of year
The stars would never shine so bright
So beautiful and clear

I have walked this road alone
My thin coat against the chill
When the light in me was gone
And my winter house was stilled

When I grieved for all I'd made
Out of all I had to give
On the eve of Christmas day
With no reason left to live

Even then, somehow in the bitter wind and cold
Impossibly strong I know
Even then, a bloom as tender as a rose
Was breaking through the snow
In the dark night of the soul
In the dark night of the soul

If it wasn't for the babe
Lying helpless on the straw
There would be no Christmas day
And the night would just go on

When it seems that death has won
Buried deep beneath the snow
Where the summer leaves have gone
The seed of hope will grow

Even then, somehow in the bitter wind and cold
Impossibly strong I know
Even then, a bloom as tender as a rose
Was breaking through the snow
In the dark night of the soul
In the dark night of the soul


© David Wilcox, from Into The Mystery

Sunshine said...

Oooo! That's good! Thanks, Julie, for sharing another great David Wilcox song. I gotta borrow a few of those CDs....