About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

True Trust

Here's a passage from Psalm 28:

"The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song. The LORD is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one" (Ps. 28:7-8).

I also read Isaiah 37 this morning. The king of Assyria sent word to Hezekiah, the king of Judah, that he shouldn't trust God because Assyria had already conquered so many other lands. He told the people of Judah not to be deceived by Hezekiah's word that God would protect them. So Hezekiah talked to God. He said,

"O LORD Almighty, God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth...It is true, O LORD, that the Assyrian kings have laid waste all these peoples and their lands. They have thrown their gods into the fire and destroyed them, for they were not gods but only wood and stone, fashioned by human hands. Now, O LORD our God, deliver us from his hand, so that all kingdoms on earth may know that you alone, O LORD, are God" (Isaiah 37:16, 18-20).

And God said that He would take care of King Sennacherib of Assyria...and He did.

Hezekiah, in this instance, was the most interested in God's reputation. Of course he wanted protection. But he was most certainly angry that this king belittled his God. Even when it seems that your situation is hopeless, trust in God.

No comments: