About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Honesty Is the Best Policy

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life" (Psalm 139:23-24, New Living Translation).

Self-awareness is a buzz word in our society. But so often, we aren't really honest with ourselves. Oh, we can be aware of our emotions, but are we truly honest with ourselves about our sin? It's much easier to ignore them. But they eat away at us, corroding our souls. And God knows about them anyway, so we might as well be honest with Him about them. He's here to help us get rid of those negative, selfish, spiteful, deceptive, and just plain ugly attitudes.

Start being honest with yourself today...about everything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read again your verse and comments from Wednesday. It was a very good verse to start the day. I like Joyce Meyer’s point; I hope I can remember it when the opportunity comes to share it. Interesting – the passage in my daily devotional Tuesday also was about slipping: They fill their hearts with God’s law, so they will never slip from his path - Psalm 37:31. Wednesday’s verse was also very encouraging: You know what I long for, Lord; you hear my every sigh - Psalm 38:9
wbk

Gail (but you can call me G) said...

Ow, and ow. Today's and the one before it really hit home with what I've been dealing with this last couple of days. I have drifted away from God, and I know it, but I haven't wanted to admit it. Just in my speech, my attitude, my priorities, my values - I am way too focused on the world and worldly things and I know that God is there, gently tapping me on the shoulder. Yesterday I just asked him to draw me back home and help me to make the changes I know I need to make. I have felt just a strange sense of the blues lately and I finally have realized that this is the real problem. I think God makes us uncomfortable so that we will snap out of our stupor and pay attention and realize we are drifting out to sea. Your verses really hit the spot.

Sunshine said...

Thanks, wbk and gail. I appreciate your comments. :)