About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Friday, August 11, 2006

What Shall We Do?

The news about the terrorist plot out of London on the United States is, to say the least, unnerving. Some people want us dead.

The earth is dry and cracked, as the already months-long drought continues in this area. Our air quality is horrible, and in the North Texas area, plans are being made to add 11 more environmentally unfriendly power plants.

People in other areas of the world continue to die of starvation and disease.

Our nation is still shattered by Hurricane Katrina. Other countries have suffered similar disasters.

Life seems hopeless.

So, what shall we do? Shall we grumble and moan and simply endure? Sometimes that's appropriate. There is, after all, a book in the Bible titled "Lamentations." Now, we can each do our part to care for this earth that God created, as well as all its inhabitants. "No man is an island, entire of itself" as John Donne said. But sometimes it's just hard to even put one foot in front of the other when so much destruction and death is happening all around us.

I think times such as these call for the Psalms.

Here are some verses that seem appropriate:

"In the LORD I take refuge. How then can you say to me: 'Flee like a bird to your mountain. For look, the wicked bend their bows; they set their arrows against the strings to shoot from the shadows at the upright in heart. When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?'

The LORD is in his holy temple; the LORD is on his heavenly throne" (Psalm 11:1-4a).

"The LORD is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 27:1).

"But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, 'You are my God.' My times are in your hands; deliver me from my enemies and from those who pursue me" (Psalm 31:14-15).

"Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD" (Psalm 31:24).

There are many more verses such as these. I encourage you to read Psalms for yourself. Power, strength, and comfort lie in these words.

No comments: