About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Peace, Anyone?

The yard renovation continues at my house. Outside, bangings on rock and grindings of a saw announce the presence of our construction zone. Naturally, the dog wants the workers to understand that he is the protector of this territory, so he barks often. And loudly. I've turned on the TV in an attempt to mask the noise, but that is just another annoyance, as the Today show presents a story on a spa for children in San Antonio.

So, I looked up "peace" on BibleGateway.com. Here's a verse to which I can relate this morning: "I have no peace, no quietness; I have no rest, but only turmoil" (Job 3:26).

But I also found these verses:

"The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace" (Psalm 29:11).

"[S]eek peace and pursue it" (Psalm 34:14b).

"[B]e at peace with each other" (Mark 9:50b).

What are the lessons from these verses?
1) God wants to give us peace, and He does give it to us.
2) We must look for peace. I think we need to ask God for peace or ask Him how to find it.
3) God wants us not only to be at peace within ourselves and with Him, but also with each other.

The dog has calmed down, the noise outside has stopped briefly, and I've gained some strength from God's Word--I'm on my way to a day of peace...if not quiet. :)

No comments: