About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Don't Even Go There

The title in the NIV for Proverbs 5 is "Warning Against Adultery." Alrighty. Not a topic I can wax poetic about. But it's definitely something to consider when you are pursuing wisdom. Becoming intimately involved with someone who is not your spouse is not wise! Solomon spends much of the chapter talking about the repercussions of adultery. I'd like to focus on two passages that I think are the main points.

1) Just don't even go there. Don't put yourself in situations that could compromise your marital vows. I believe it was Billy Graham who has always refused to be in any room with a woman other than his wife with the door closed. I can't remember if it was also Billy Graham who ascribed to this or if I've just heard it as a suggestion, but I've also heard of a man refusing to eat dinner alone with a woman who was not his wife. In these days of extensive travel for business, making that resolution is a definite stand for one's marriage. Here's what Solomon said: "Keep to a path far from [an adulteress], do not go near the door of her house" (Prov. 5:8).

So if that's what we ought not do, what should we do? "May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth...[M]ay you ever be captivated by her love" (Prov. 5:18, 19b). Do we always feel like rejoicing? No. But God calls us to rejoice and be thankful in all circumstances. All relationships need to be maintained. The other key is that we need to submit to one another. Marriages cannot be blessings when there is self-centeredness.

2) Solomon also reminds that "a man's ways are in full view of the LORD, and he examines all his paths" (Prov. 5:21). We may think that we are getting away with something, but we are fools to ever think that. God is always aware of what we are doing, thinking, and feeling. We cannot hide from God. As David said, "O LORD, you have searched me and you know me...[Y]ou perceive my thoughts from afar...Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?" (Psalm 139:1, 2a, 7).

Furthermore, Solomon warns that "[t]he evil deeds of a wicked man ensnare him; the cords of his sin hold him fast. He will die for lack of discipline, led astray by his own great folly" (Prov. 5:22-23). These words echo the earlier chapters. Wisdom gives life and even long life, whereas folly leads to withering death.

Ask God to protect and strengthen your relationships today and show you what you need to do to nurture them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on!

I have tried this 3x without it showing received comments. Hope is works this time.

Sunshine said...

It worked! Let me know if you have troubles making comments again. Thanks for posting! It lifts my spirits. :)

Anonymous said...

It was GREAT seeing you tonight. I feel sad for not trampling over people to give you a hug. A missed opportunity, that I shall not miss next time.
Thanks for this writing. I know a handful of college kids who are seriously thinking of marriage that need to hear this. (Especially since you aren't their parent...) You just never know who you are touching when you pour out your heart. Thanks for loving us all enough to do that.

Sunshine said...

Feel free to pass this blog along. It would be great for the college kids to read it. I still have such a fondess in my heart for teens and young adults. I miss having regular opportunities to say, "Been there, done that" or "Been there, didn't do that, and here's why." Anyway, please share it with any you feel would benefit. It was great to see you, too! Hope our times of seeing each other become more frequent again soon. And thanks for posting a comment. It encourages me tremendously!