About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Keep It To Yourself

Proverbs 26 isn't the most cheerful of chapters, but two verses stuck out for their wisdom.

"Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will be like him yourself" (Prov. 26:4). In our society, we say, "Don't stoop to his level." This is one of those instances when it's probably best to just drop a matter.

"Like one who seizes a dog by the ears is a passer-by who meddles in a quarrel not his own" (Prov. 26:17). Getting involved in someone else's argument usually doesn't end well.

I pray you measure your words before you speak them and consider your possible actions today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many times I don't see the correlation between two statements in a verse, so I have asked God to help me understand what he is telling me. As I pondered about picking up a dog by the ears, I realized that it is almost impossible to pick up it's full weight by just the ears. The effort would certainly hurt the dog and he would probably bite you.
So, like you said, it's probably not going to end on a good note.