About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Making God's Desires Your Own

I have been thinking lately about what it is that God desires most. I believe that 1) God desires glory for Himself and that we will glorify Him with our lives, and 2) God desires peace and love to exist among His people and between Himself and His people. I thought of the tidings of the angels at the announcement of Jesus' birth to the shepherds: "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men in whom he is well pleased" (Luke 2:14; American Standard Version).

I have also begun to think about what is truly in our hearts as Christians. Do we act as we do because we truly desire what God desires or because that's what we've been taught to do, and we've been brought up to be a "good person"? One's actions do not always reveal what is really in his or her heart. But God knows each of our hearts, even better than each of us knows himself or herself. Solomon put it this way: "All a man's ways seem right to him, but the LORD weighs the heart" (Prov. 21:2, emphasis added). It is one thing to keep silent when someone wrongs you, but it is another thing entirely to pray for that person (Matthew 5:44). Who was it that suggested that? Oh, yeah, only Jesus, the One we claim to be following if we are Christians! I suggest that we follow Solomon's lead as he wrote in Proverbs 21:1, "The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases." Wouldn't it be nice if all leaders did this?

Proverbs 21 offers more insight into the desires of God's heart as well as how, in the end, "it all comes out in the wash."

"When justice is done, it brings JOY to the righteous but terror to evildoers" (Prov. 21:15). God is a God of justice. It cannot be any other way since He is supreme good. Injustices incur wrath in God. Let us remember that we each also incur the wrath of God. Thankfully, however, He is also a loving God of mercy and forgiveness, who does not wish any of His children to perish (2 Peter 3:9b), and His Son willed Himself to atone for our numerous sins.

"He who pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity and honor" (Prov. 21:21). Here's another example of a lasting reward (as opposed to a temporary reward, as I discussed in yesterday's post). God will reward those who desire what He desires.

"There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD. The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the LORD" (Prov. 21:30-31). As Paul said, "If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31b). I love verses like this. Makes me want to stick my tongue out at Satan. What arrogance to think he could ever ultimately win against God. Actually, it makes me want to get out my sword and get ready for spiritual battle. Well, I already have (Ephesians 6:17)! But I can't wait to see God triumph over Satan at the end of time. That will be so cool. Back to Proverbs 21:30-31...what comfort this passage holds for those of us who claim God as our Father!

I pray that you cling to God and His ways today, for His ways are the just and loving ways that bring life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

joytothegirl,

I haven't commented in a while, so I need to let you know that I read your thoughts right after my daily devo every day. I purposely wait until after so that I am in tune with God and can fully appreciate what you are saying. I thank God for you and ask His blessing on you and direction for you.

Walk in Peace,

Martha

Sunshine said...

Martha,

I'm glad you do your devo time first. That's better because you can "get in tune with God" without others' ideas on the given text (since you're reading Proverbs, too!).

God is definitely providing me with direction. I'm enjoying the the way in which I'm heading.

Love you!