About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Words, Relationships, and Other Thoughts

Proverbs 12 holds quite a few juicy morsels about how to have successful relationships, and one of the most important topics is words. Verse 18 says, "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." It's the old saying that you can't take back words that you've said. And many times, we don't have malice in our hearts when we say something, but it is actually hurtful. Speaking thoughtlessly, without considering your words before you speak them is very dangerous. Verse 25 says, "An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up." Several of you wrote e-mails to me yesterday to cheer me up. I've been "weighed down" by several things recently, and you honored God by reaching out to me. Thank you. This heart ain't so anxious today!

Now what about when someone says something mean or thoughtless to you? This is a tought one, guys, but verse 16 says, "A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." As one of my friends' pastors says, either say "amen" or say "ouch." When someone cuts you off on the highway, what is your first, immediate response? Yeah, I know. Honesty, even with yourself, can hurt. I am not the most peaceful person when it comes to reacting to others on the road. I'm better than I used to be, but it's not an area I've yet mastered. Verse 20b may help. It says, "There is...joy for those who promote peace." If I have pursuing joy in my life, I must promote peace. And that means weeding out even bad feelings in my heart. Just keeping your mouth shut isn't enough as a child of God.

A few other verses I found interesting...

"Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid." (Prov. 12:1) Wow! Honestly, how many of us likes to be corrected? But if we hate it and rebel against correction, then we are stupid. It really makes sense when you think about it. If you are wrong, why would you want to remain being wrong?

"Better to be a nobody and yet have a servant than pretend to be somebody and have no food." (Prov. 12:9) Our society encourages us to "keep up with the Joneses." Often this effort leads to financial ruin and can ultimately dissolve relationships. So, it's better to know your financial situation and live within your means than to present the facade of having tons of money and end up with nothing on which to survive.

"A wife of noble character is her husband's crown." (Prov. 12:4a) My husband's first name means "crowned one," and I have teased him that without me, his name is meaningless! Seriously, though, we are to respect our spouses, and one of the ways to do that is through your own behavior in all areas of life. What others see of you is a reflection on your spouse.

May these little pearls of Scripture bless you today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Without you my crown would be less impressive and my kingdom would be devoid of happiness.

Anonymous said...

You zeroed in on the same verses I focused on. Thank you for expounding on them. Your thoughts were great. As always, you bless my life.

Sunshine said...

Awwww! Such a sweet husband! I'm glad to bring happiness to "your kingdom." It's pretty good being your queen! :)

Thanks, Martha, for your comments, too. :)