About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Eyes of the LORD

Perhaps this isn't the most appropriate place for this, but well, it's my blog, so I can do what I want....

HOOK 'EM HORNS!!! Winners of the Rose Bowl, the national champions. Aaahhh, God bless Texas.

Okay, I feel much better. Is it bad that when I read the phrase "the eyes of the LORD," I immediately thought of the phrase "the eyes of Texas"?

Soooo...anyway...I read Psalm 33 this morning. It's a nice peppy one--would fit right in at a pep rally for God. Here are a few verses I especially liked:

"Sing joyfully to the LORD, you righteous; it is fitting for the upright to praise him" (Ps. 33:1). Why is it that we forget to praise God? I've been annoyed with myself lately because I'm been slack in giving praise where praise is due. And it is certainly due to Yahweh.

"Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy" (Ps. 33:3). I like this verse because it reminds me that we need to keep our worship fresh. When we sing the same old songs, read the same passages, pray the same basic prayers, it tends to become stale. Is that really worship? I also appreciate the command to "play skillfully." God gave us talents and expects them to use them to the utmost of our ability in order to glorify Him. So don't give God halfhearted attempts. Give Him your best!

"The earth is full of his unfailing love" (Ps. 33:5b). When you feel like you have nothing, that your life is horrible, just look around you. God is faithful and good. Satan wants us to be distracted and disheartened by the pain and evil in this world. But don't get sucked into that. Discover the good, the result of God's love that surrounds us.

"But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love" (Ps. 33:18). When it seems like no one notices you, remind yourself that He does. Remember too that the biblical word "hope" is an assured knowledge that He will deliver us.

Keep your chins up, people. As our minister said recently about changing our hearts, stay in the game and dedicate your minds to a courageous refusal to quit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hook'em Horns!

Anonymous said...

You guys crack me up! I am going to dedicate the rest of my day to "playing skillfully"!

Sunshine said...

Hope you "played skillfully" at work yesterday. But this weekend, just play! ;)