About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Friday, January 06, 2006

A Taste Test

"Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him" (Ps. 34:8).

Many people do not believe in God because they see all the evil in the world. My theory is that these people never really tried God out. They never really put their faith in Him. And that's pretty much how it works. God wants our unreserved trust, our unwavering belief that He will take care of us. And really, that's what faith is.

So, in order to take the "God taste test," one must often just ignore any doubts that one may have about God's faithfulness. Disbelief must be suspended for the sake of the "experiment."

David understood that God is to be praised always. "I will extol the LORD at all times; his praise will always be on my lips" (Ps. 34:1). (Note: It's okay to have doubts even as a Christian. What I'm discussing mainly here is someone who has never believed or even a Christian who is going through an extremely difficult situation.)

God may come looking for you, but ultimately you have to look to Him. David said, "I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame" (Ps. 34:4-5).

When you do accept that God can help you, you will experience His comfort, grace, and protection. David said, "The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. A righteous man may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all" (Ps. 34:18-19).

Even in the dreariest of times, God is there to lift you up out of them. His love and wisdom can save. I pray that you experience this yourself or are guided by the Spirit to help someone else experience it.

No comments: