About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

It Doesn't Matter

A scene from The Lion King, according to www.lionking.org/scripts/Script.doc:

{Rafiki smacks Simba on the head with his staff.}

Simba: Oww! Jeez--what was that for?

Rafiki: It doesn't matter; it's in the past! {laughs}

Simba: {Rubbing head} Yeah, but it still hurts.

Rafiki: Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it...or...learn from it.

This scene is what I thought of when I read Isaiah 43:18-28 this morning. The joy for Christians is that we are safe from the pain of the past in our next life, and we don't even have to let the past hurt us in this life.

Highlights from this morning's reading:

"'Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland. The wild animals honor me, the jackals and the owls, because I provide water in the desert and streams in the wasteland, to give drink to my people, my chosen, the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise...I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more" (Isaiah 43:18-21, 25).

Take these words to heart and imprint them on your mind. For when God speaks, you can trust those words to be undeniably true.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do we cling so strongly to the hurt of those that wrong us or times of trial? What good is it doing us? What is the pull of these things????

Sunshine said...

Good question. Here are some musings....

Being upset by injustice is partly a good thing. God Himself is a God of justice. But you are right in that it is not constructive to cling to injustices of the past. When I become overly angry about injustices, I remind myself that God will take care of it in the end. As I like to say, it will all come out in the wash. And that's all I can do about it. May as well rejoice over our blessings instead--that's more fun!

Sunshine said...

Clarification:
When I spoke of injustices earlier (and giving them over to God as the only response), I was speaking of those in the past.

Christians can do *a lot* to help correct injustices in our society. I believe it is our obligation as people of God to draw attention to the plight of those in our society who cannot fend for themselves, due to low income, low education, language barriers, etc. James said, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world" (James 1:27). Actually, you could say that the end of that verse addresses the original issue raised. We are to acknowledge our pain and that of others, but we should not become mired in it, thereby losing our joy and goodness as God's ambassadors on earth. Comments, anyone?