About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Friday, January 27, 2006

No Other Rock

"The wise man built his house upon the rock,
The wise man built his house upon the rock,
The wise man built his house upon the rock,
And the rains came tumbling down."

"He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock
That shadows a dry, thirsty land."

These song lyrics are going through my head this morning as I contemplate my chosen title for the verses I read from Isaiah44. In much of the chapter, Yahweh gives a sound argument of why worshiping idols is, well, just plain dumb. That section is verses 9 through 20, if you care to read it for yourself.

God also reminds His children that 1) they are His, 2) He will bless them, and 3) He alone is God.

Highlights:

"'This is what the LORD says--he who made you, who formed you in the womb, and who will help you: Do not be afraid, O Jacob, my servant, Jeshrun, whom I have chosen. For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. They will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams. One will say, 'I belong to the LORD'; another will call himself by the name of Jacob; still another will write on his hand, 'The LORD's,' and will take the name Israel'" (Is. 44:2-5).

"'I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God. Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before me what has happened since I established my ancient people, and what is yet to come--yes, let him foretell what will come. Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one'" (Is. 44:6b-8).

"'Remember these things, O Jacob, for you are my servant, O Israel. I have made you, you are my servant; O Israel, I will not forget you. I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me, for I have redeemed you'" (Is. 44:21-22).

"Sing for joy, O heavens, for the LORD has done this; shout aloud, O earth beneath. Burst into song, you mountains, you forests and all your trees, for the LORD has redeemed Jacob, he displays his glory in Israel" (Is. 44:23).

No comments: