About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Making All Things New

As special as Christmas can be--it is, after all, a celebration of Jesus' birth, another holiday has become more special to me in the past few years. New Year's Eve is my new favorite holiday. The relief of finally closing the door on the struggles of the past year, the anticipation of what blessings the new year may bring, the determination to do more and be more in the next twelve months--this is why I love New Year's. And isn't that the point of Christmas anyway? Jesus came to earth to give us another chance at life.

This morning I read Isaiah 41. The chapter tells of what God will do for us and through us. Above all, He will make things new. It reminds me of Revelation 21:5: "And He who sits on the throne said, 'Behold, I am making all things new!" (New American Standard Version).

"I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, 'You are my servant'; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand" (Is. 41:9-10).

This next passage reminds me of the severe drought North Texas is experiencing. It is good to remember that God always brings His people safe through difficult times.

"The poor and needy search for water, but there is none; their tongues are parched with thirst. But I the LORD will answer them; I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them. I will make rivers flow on barren heights, and springs within the valleys. I will turn the desert into pools of water, and the parched ground into springs" (Is. 41:17-18).

Can you imagine the deserts of Iraq and Afghanistan becoming lush gardens with waterfalls and pools in them? God can do it, and perhaps one day--in another life--He will.

The next part of this passage is the most important part. He will make rivers run in the desert...
"...so that people may see and know, may consider and understand, that the hand of the LORD has done this, that the Holy One of Israel has created it" (Is. 41:20).

In 2006, I expect you to be more than you were in 2005. But don't make the mistake of thinking sheer willpower can do it. You will face tiring days and fearsome nights. Remember that it is God's power that makes all things new. Seek His guidance, protection, encouragement, and wisdom daily, and 2006 will be a year of renewal.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've put into words what I've been trying to figure out about the New Year. I do LOVE Christmas; all the hustle, the joy, the memories of past family days (and yes, the 2 week break from education), but January 1st does bring something else. It brings that sense of renewal, and the fact that we are all forced to start "something" new. Thanks for lifting our spirits, our hearts, our ears, and our thoughts to the One that is greatest of all, who can do all things.

Sunshine said...

Yep, fresh starts, clean slates...I love all that stuff. Thanks for your comments and reminding me that the work I have spread out in front of me on my desk right now will not be accomplished by myself alone. God will help me do this work! :)

Anonymous said...

Starting new is practicaly my favorite part about God's plan. Well stated , my friend! Joelle

Sunshine said...

Here's one from Anne of Green Gables: "Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it." (L.M. Montgomery)