About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Is It Ever Enough?

In this world, do we ever make it through one day without wishing we had something that we don't? It's an understatement to say that it is difficult to live in our society without wanting more than what we have. It's always something, isn't it? A bigger house, a newer car, fewer hassles at work, more time for recreation, and even resolutions to problems that plague us. I'm laughing to myself because last night I placed an ad for a contest with a $25,000 grand prize for that I could enter online. It's not bad to want these things! God wishes to bless us. But I feel that when we constantly want more, when we are not content with our lives as they are, we are missing out on the truly abundant life God wants us to experience. Even in our struggles, God wants us to remember His goodness. Below are a few verses that came to my mind this morning.

"The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters" (Psalm 23:1-2).

“[Y]et will I rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior” (Habakkuk 3:18).

"Therefore, I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?...Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" (Matthew 6:25, 27).

"...I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances...I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength" (Philippians 4:11b, 12b-13).

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thessalonians 5:18).

So, according to the Bible, what is included in God's will, in addition to the three items listed in the last verse? Off the top of my head, I remember that God does not want any of His children to perish, but wants all of us with Him in heaven. God never promised us a rose garden, at least not in this earth. And Jesus Himself told His followers that their lives would be difficult because of their devotion to Him. "But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body" (Philippians 3:20-21). Remember that. Remember that we are here only a little while. Enjoy His good earth while you're here. And I’m still going to enter that sweepstakes. God may decide to bless me with some cash. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I personally had an eye opening moment about this very subject just two weeks ago. At our monthly meeting a church women's group people were sharing about how the gifts and donations we had given at Christmas were received. Well...it was powerful the hear of a woman I know receiving her first brand new coat (as opposed to hand-me-downs). Talk about persceptive.
Then, as our semester exam project in English on the topic of life topics not one of my deaf students saw not hearing as a challenge--WOW.
Denise