About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Monday, September 26, 2005

Peace in the Chaos

Psalm 11 seems very appropriate for the events that have taken place in the last few weeks. David begins by declaring, "In the LORD (Yahweh) I take refuge" (Ps. 11:1a). Clearly, others (or perhaps David himself?) want to know how David can say that when "the wicked bend their bows; they set their arrows against the strings to shoot from the shadows at the upright in heart" (Ps. 11:2). We live in a dangerous world. Man attacks man. Within families, relatives turn on each other. And, in this world, we are vulnerable to Satan's schemes. And natural disasters, as we have seen recently, can decimate life as we know it. Verse 3 reminded me of the recent hurricanes as well as the tsunami earlier this year. "When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?" (Ps. 11:3).

"The LORD (Yahweh) is in his holy temple; the LORD (Yahweh) is on his
heavenly throne." (Ps. 11:4a).


Why should this be a comfort? Because no matter what happens--natural disasters, tornadoes, floods, crumbling homes, death, unstable relationships--through it all, God is over it all. He sees. The rest of verse 4 says, "He observes the sons of men; his eyes examine them" (Ps. 11:4b). But He does not keep Himself from us. Believe me--God can make good come of evil. He will not let those who love Him fall. I am safe, knowing that the God who created the universe, who has sustained His people for millennia, who calmed the seas in Galilee, who created me as a unique child of His, this same God loves me and will not let me go. I also know that He doesn't want me to merely exist, but to live life abundantly.

"If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?...[I]n all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 8:31b-32, 37-39).

No comments: