About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Psalm 5

Sometimes it seems that the people least deserving of it achieve success and its rewards in our world. It's not fair. We work hard, we try to put our trust in God, we try to live godly lives. And yet these unbelieving icons in our culture and even in our workplaces live "the good life." Or so it seems.

David must have had similar feelings. But he knew how to deal with his struggles. "Lead me, O LORD, in your righteousness because of my enemies--make straight your way before me" (Ps. 5:8). He knew that God's way was the right way. And he knew how easy it is to get caught up in the strategies of the world in the pursuit of success, wealth, and so on. The key is to keep focused on God.

Seeing unbelievers living lives of comfort and power can lead one to think that God is rewarding their behaviors. Not so. David knew better, too. He reminded himself, "You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with you the wicked cannot dwell" (Ps. 5:4). Some day, it will all come out in the wash.

But how do you make it through each day in this world? Most of us have a bad case of world-weariness. Here are two passages that give some insight into what we should do.

"...[C]onsider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation" (Ps. 5:1b-3). God is our Father. He wants us to bring our troubles to Him. He wants us to lean on Him for support. And we ought to expect Him to take care of us. How much it must hurt God when we think that He is not working for our good. What should our attitude be then? "But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you" (Ps. 5:11).

Do not become disheartened by this world. Learn to take refuge in God.

No comments: