About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Where To Put Your Trust

This morning I read Psalm 14, and it's good, but it just didn't say much to me today. I am a creature of habit, and since God knows that about me (He made me, didn't He?), I think He sometimes nudges me to get out of my routine. So I flipped back over to Isaiah and read chapter 8.

God says that war will come to Judah and Israel in the form of the king of Assyria (Is. 8:6-8). Isaiah responds by saying, "Devise your strategy, but it will be thwarted; propose your plan, but it will not stand, for God is with us" (Ps. 8:10). The plans of humankind may seem infallible, but they are not. A project may be worked on for decades, but they don't always succeed. As Robert Burns said, "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

The last phrase in verse 10, in the original Hebrew, is my favorite word that is used to describe Jesus--Immanuel. What power lies in the words themselves. Reminds me of Paul's words, "If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31b).

God warns Isaiah, "with his strong hand upon [him]," not to follow the ways of his fellow men. God tells him, "'Do not call conspiracy everything that these people call conspiracy (footnote says "Do not call for a treaty every time these people call for a treaty"); do not fear what they fear, and do not dread it. The LORD Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, he is the one you are to dread, and he will be a sanctuary'" (Is. 8:11-14a).

Making decisions, especially decisions that affect people across a nation and even the world, can be very difficult. But if your counsel is from God, decision-making becomes very different. What others think becomes less important and, sometimes, even trivial. We must put our trust in our Maker, the One who sees all and in fact controls all. God is the One we are to honor, not men. The opinions of our fellow human beings may sometimes have wisdom in them, but many times they are earthly thoughts. As I've said before, we must be careful from whom we receive advice. And even when all others agree on a certain idea or plan, we must not be afraid if we feel God is leading us another way. Hone your spiritual hearing so that you can easily perceive the Holy Spirit's prompting. And don't be afraid, for God is with you.

No comments: