About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Psalm 9

Psalm 9 is a song of praise to God for His protection. David knows that evil will continue to pursue him, so he also asks God for continued mercy and rescue.

Why do we ask God for help? Naturally, we want relief from the pains and trials that we encounter. But the mature believer will see the bigger picture, will see that ultimately everything is for God's glory. David says, "O LORD, see how my enemies persecute me! Have mercy and lift me up from the gates of death, that I may declare your praises in the gates of the Daughter of Zion and there rejoice in your salvation" (Ps. 9:13-14).

Do we make a habit of proclaiming how God has been good to us? Unfortunately, oftentimes when a difficult situation works out well for us, we say a token "thank God" as we narrate the event to a friend. But we promptly become obsessed with some other struggle and wonder why God doesn't hurry up and fix it for us. Hmmm. A few tidbits about thanking God. Paul says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God" (Philippians 4:6). We must be wary of what can happen if we do not give thanks. "For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened" (Romans 1:21). I think we often live as if God is here to serve us. Foolish humans. He created us. We are to serve Him and His purposes. That may seem oppressive, but the funny thing is, we are blessed when we do serve Him and live to glorify Him.

In the past few months, it has become a deep wish of mine to tell people about how God has saved me and protected me. I was world-weary. Frustrations about my job, relationships, and other situations had me in a pit. I was not reflecting light, but rather was crouching in darkness, wondering what to do. Then I began reading the psalms. Three months into my study of this book, my mother died, very tragically and suddenly. I told Satan and God both that my devotion to God would never change. God truly works good out of what Satan means for evil. God has given me strength in ways that I cannot explain. The key is to ask God to give you joy, even as you are weeping. He wants you to pour our your heart to Him. So many times we think that we have to "have it together" when we come to God. It was never intended to be that way! God knows you better than you know yourself. He knows what is troubling you. Even if it is doubt in Him, tell Him about it.

Let's join David in praising our God.

"I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders. I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High" (Ps. 9:1-2).

"My enemies turn back; they stumble and perish before you. For you have upheld my right and my cause" (Ps. 9:3a).

"The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you. Sing praises to the LORD, enthroned in Zion; proclaim among the nations what he has done" (Ps. 9:9-11).

"The wicked return to the grave, all the nations that forget God. But the needy will not always be forgotten, nor the hope of the afflicted ever perish" (Ps. 9:17-18).

I find that last verse interesting. It reiterates Paul's words in Romans 1:21. David ends the psalm this way: "[L]et the nations know they are but men" (Ps. 9:20b).

May God open the eyes of your heart, that you may see Him as the God who created the world and protects His people. I pray that you also develop the spirit of thankfulness.

No comments: