About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Psalm 7

David seeks God's help as he faces adversity from those who wish him harm. "O LORD my God, I take refuge in you; save and deliver me from all who pursue me, or they will tear me like a lion and rip me to pieces with no one to rescue me" (Ps. 7:1-2). We may not have people waiting to do our physical lives in. But we do encounter people in our lives who do not wish the best for us, who do not want to see us succeed. Satan, of course, is another example.

David further asks, "O righteous God, who searches minds and hearts, bring to an end the violence of the wicked and make the righteous secure" (Ps. 7:9). David acknowledges that God knows the motives that lie in one's heart, and he asks God to stop the evil that people do to one another. He also asks God to protect those who desire to live to honor Him.

"My shield is God Most High, who saves the upright in heart" (Ps. 7:10). David acknowledges that God is faithful to His people. And he does something that I have been thinking about lately, something that I do not do anywhere as often as I ought to. He thanks God. "I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High" (Ps. 7:17). I have been asking God for many things lately. Even if I am praying on the behalf of others, I am not focused much on thanking God for taking care of me and the others for whom I pray.

Begin taking time each day to thank God for who He is and how He has been good to you.

No comments: