About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

We interrupt this broadcast...for an old favorite

As most of you know, this blog began as daily e-mails about my thoughts on the scripture I'd read that morning. I grew up going to church but didn't have a strong relationship with God Himself. In January, having been frustrated and miserable for a variety of reasons, I began reading the Psalms. I met God there--or rather, God met me there. The Psalms ministered to my heart in special ways and supported me in ways that I can describe only as divine. Their solace continued through the weeks that followed my mother's death in March. After I read the Psalms, I moved on to the books of the prophets. I've enjoying reading these passages that are rarely read or discussed in typical church settings. But due to some circumstances of others in my life as well as some of my own emotions, I feel we need to revisit an old friend--the book of Psalms. It may be just for today. It may be for a week. I don't know. Guess I'll just tune in to God's guidance and follow where He leads me. Last night I read over Psalms 1-13. Verses I found encouraging and comforting are given below.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither" (Ps. 1:1-3a). To put a little spin on the first part of this passage, let's consider who the "wicked" and "sinners" are. Most of us don't hang out with a "rough crowd." But we do know unbelievers. And they may even give some good advice sometimes. But the advice of someone who is not pursuing God's truth is not to be trusted. Their perspective is off. So choose wisely those from whom you seek counsel.

"O LORD, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me! Many are saying of me, 'God will not deliver him.' But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side...From the LORD comes deliverance" (Ps. 3:1-6, 8a). David, the author of this psalm, had men after him. They wanted him dead. Most of us aren't on the run in that way. But aren't we running from Satan's powers every day? He throws temptations at us constantly--temptations to dishonor God, to say horrible things about people, to continue destructive behaviors. And unfortunately, we do fall. But God can deliver us. But we have to come to God and ask Him to be our rescue when we fall and our shield for future attempts on our lives by the Evil One. (Oh, Satan makes me so mad! I can't wait to help kick his butt in heaven...or at least watch.)

"In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. Offer right sacrifices and trust in the LORD" (Ps. 4:4). This world is a difficult and dangerous place to live in. Life is hard. Horrible things happen. We are justifiably angry. Anger is not a sin. God gets angry. But we must learn to handle our anger appropriately. The first response should be to ask God to help you with it. We love to indulge in good bouts of being mad, ranting about the person who has done us wrong, and feeling sorry for ourselves. But what good can come of that? Does it change the circumstances? And after a time, don't you feel worse? Instead, keep silent, explore your feelings, tell God about them, and ask Him for His guidance. This process, if truly followed, will give you peace, and you will find the fierce emotions of anger have passed or have at least lessened.

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety" (Ps. 4:8). Here is a very possible result of asking God to deal with your anger, your frustrations, your misery.

"Many are asking, 'Who can show us any good?' Let the light of your face shine upon us, O LORD. You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound" (Ps. 4:7). Don't you know someone who is negative about everything? Nothing is good enough to make them happy, nothing is going their way, nothing good has happened to them in years or ever, no one is on their side. Maybe that person is you. I have been in that place. I still struggle with those thoughts and attitudes. But I've learned the alternative to living life that way. So please--draw near to God. There are two main ways to do that. First, pray. Ask God to make you very aware of His presence. Ask Him to show you what you need to see and understand and internalize. Second, read what He has said. The Bible is living, in that it has power all the time. It doesn't matter that it is a collection of ancient texts. God does not change. The Bible is His word. He wants to talk to you. It's available. You've just got to read it. Another important task is to develop your spiritual hearing. In other words, learn to tune in to the leading of the Holy Spirit. Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to us to be our counselor. Focus on that steady voice that you hear and feel deep in the core of your being.

I've gone over only four of the chapters I read last night. I suspect there are more messages from the Psalms to come. I hope that these words have encouraged you and given you some hope. And as always, I wish you...JOY!

No comments: