About Me

My photo
Learning to face life with a smile...and occasional hysterical laughter.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

In Memoriam

"'Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?'" (I Corinthians 15:55).

As the granddaughter of a man who loved golf, the name Byron Nelson was familiar to me as I grew up. I didn't know too much about the man, but I knew of him. It was a surprise, then, to learn a few years ago that "Lord Byron" was a member of my husband's and my church. At that time, I expected churchgoers to approach him with starstruck worship. But Byron was not the kind of man that drew that reaction. Rather, because of his humility, church members greeted him at the beginning of church services with a quiet awed pleasure of being a fellow child of God. You could tell church members loved him, loved seeing him, loved that such a prominent figure in our society was really just a fellow Christian, wanting to live in a way that pleased God.

At church, you never really saw Byron without seeing his wife, Peggy. She is an amazing woman. Her faithful presence by his side in worship services always brought joy to my spirit, and her graceful way of welcoming people as a greeter at church warms my heart. On several occasions she told my husband and me that we were a very nice-looking couple. That's a great compliment coming from anyone, but it's certainly significant coming from a woman who has socialized with Tiger Woods and, perhaps, his wife.

It's just nice to see genuine Christianity, especially in the lives of individuals who are known in society.

In the last couple of years, Byron's health seemed to be deteriorating. We knew he had lived a long time and prepared our hearts for his departure. I don't think you can ever be prepared for the loss of someone you love, though. I lost my mother last year, and since then, I have learned a lot about life and death. I also feel a special bond with those who lose a loved one.

Last night when we heard on the 10 o'clock news that Lord Byron had died, we were saddened but not surprised. Though my heart grieves for Peggy and the Nelsons' family and friends, it also rejoices because, as much as Byron loved his ranch in Roanoke, Texas, his home of 58 years, he is finally in his real home. We can imagine him, as a local newscaster said, swinging a golf club in heaven. I don't claim to be a theologist, but I imagine there will be some divinely beautiful fairways in heaven, along with the streets of gold. Do you think anyone bogeys in heaven? (I doubt it.)

God never wants to be separated from us. His desire is for all of us to be with him forever. Byron said, "After all life is short, but eternity is forever. And I hope I never have to spend eternity in the wrong place." And we all have the opportunity, offered from our Father, to spend eternity in just the right place--with Him...and our brothers and sisters.

On a personal note: I've been wanting to learn to play golf (I'm not too bad at putting, thanks to many family outings playing miniature golf), and I am now reminded that we're on earth for only a moment. Perhaps, when my life is over, I'll be ready for my tee time with Byron.

4 comments:

Sunshine said...

Here's a good news story about Byron Nelson: http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/apmethods/apstory?urlfeed=D8KD4QDO0.xml

Anonymous said...

when karen brown passed away i thought to myself, I've always wanted to run like her. I've started running a bit and bought myself pink shoe laces in her honor and memory. I hope we'll run a lap when I get there while you guys tee off.
J

Sunshine said...

Hee hee. ;) I like to jog, too, so I may have to join you and Karen Brown.

Have a great day!

Sunshine said...

Here's another good story: http://christianchronicle.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=474&mode=&order=0&thold=0

(Sorry--I don't know how to hyperlink it here, so just copy and paste the links into your browser.)